The world is going through a natural cycle, from the ice ages to modern times, and every time we go through this cycle we find ourselves at a point where an increase in human population leads to a significant change in our economy and way of life. However, one thing that continues to change with each passing year is the state of the Earth’s natural resources.
We all know that the Earth is a very important planet to hold onto. But have you ever considered how much we use? For example, trillion pounds of trash are produced each year across the globe. Considering that human beings only make up about 6 percent of the world’s population, and there are over 3 billion people living on Earth, there are ways for consumers to save this beautiful planet.
Here are 3 actionable ways that consumers can help the planet:
1. Avoid energy-hungry appliances.
When you buy a new appliance, it comes with a receipt for the full amount of energy required for its operation. It is the middleman who decides which appliance you purchase, so if you know how much energy that appliance will use, it is a simple matter to purchase an efficient one. In addition to this, we buy environmentally friendly automobiles, electrical appliances, and other products that are created with less fuel and create less damage to our environment through pollution.
- Cars: There is no doubt in the minds of most people that hybrids and electric cars are better for our environment than gas-driven vehicles.
- Batteries: When you buy a battery, the people who assembled it put a sticker on the back of it saying:
“Do not dispose of this battery unless you are sure that it is empty. Throw away any old batteries and use only new, rechargeable ones.”
2. Recycle all non-recyclable materials.
In order to preserve the planet (our beautiful planet), we have to stop using non-recyclable and hazardous materials such as plastics, polycarbonate, and styrofoam. These materials are made up of polymers which can be made into models for cars, computers, and other electronic devices, appliances, and more. Recycling is not only good for the environment, but it will save you money too.
Recycling 1 ton of paper saves 17 trees and 7,000 kilowatts of energy. Recycling 1 ton of aluminum keeps 2 tons of bauxite from being mined and helps to conserve the world’s limited supplies. By recycling a one-half ton of paper, steel, and plastics each year, you can save enough oil to heat your house for almost two years.
3. Be an active participant in reducing waste generation.
One way that consumers can help to reduce waste generation is by buying products that are made locally.
- Buy products that are locally produced. This helps the environment because local producers consume less fuel in shipping their goods and do not have to worry about taxes and tariffs.
- Use rechargeable electric batteries when possible, especially if they will be used frequently. These batteries can be purchased at a relatively low cost and help you to use less electricity than if you were using non-rechargeable batteries constantly. They also take much longer to degrade than standard, disposable batteries.
- Support governments who promote conservationist policies on a worldwide level, like recycling programs that recycle paper, metals, and plastics into new products for consumer use (paper for printing, metals for jewelry, or other materials).
We cannot save the planet if we do not use up water, electricity, and other resources in a way that will cause less damage to the environment and the Earth’s resources. The responsibility lies with each of us to help preserve the beauty of our world, which is why it is important to understand how we are going to use these resources while they are still available. Actionable ways that consumers can help the planet is one way that we can all make a difference in preserving this beautiful planet. Organic Et Moi can help with products and actions that can help preserve the Earth and make it a much better place to live.